So have you all got your hooks at the ready for Block 16? Our next block is textural interesting to crochet with an unusual construction that will keep your interest. I especially like the inclusion of the tapestry crochet – though a good tip is to work loosely or block will curl!
Click on the link in the title below to go straight to the pattern or add it to your Ravelry queue here. This square is currently free on Ravelry and has been since March 2014.
If this is the first you are hearing about the CAL the full schedule can be found here.
by Margaret MacInnis
- Hook: 5 mm (US Size H)
- Yarn: Aran / 10 ply / Worsted / Weight #4
- Colours: I would suggest at least two different colours
- Pattern uses American crochet terms see conversion chart here
- Air Crochet Link: http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/vannas-choice-fan-club/1206917/201-225#223
- Invisible Join Link: http://mrsmicawber.blogspot.pt/2012/06/pardon-me-but-your-slip-stitch-is.html
- Tapestry-style: Join first Color with a sc, and work first stitches with first Color as indicated. On the last st of the first Color, instead of bringing the loop of the first color through the last step, bring the loop of the second color through. Holding the first Color so it gets worked inside the st (just hold it level over the line of stitching), work the next indicated sts to the last st in the second Color, then in the last st of the second Color, switch by pulling the first Color through, and holding the second Color in line. Continue in this fashion, switching Colors as indicated, periodically untwisting the yarns. I like to untwist them about every 12 stitches or so.
- fpdtrc: front post double treble crochet (yo 3 times)
- Btw: between two stitches fp: front post, work the st from the front, around the post of the indicated st
- Around/Btw: around the chain sp, and between the two indicated stitches
- Back bump: located behind the two top loops of a stitch, it is the horizontal thread in the back
If you are not sure about the air crochet you could substitute with a chain 3 or a standing tr/dc
Ta dah!! This is my version of this square using my colour palette (I blogged about this here). Such a pretty and unique block to add to our collection! I did make a slight change to my square because I wanted to end with the emperor (dark purple) colour so I removed rnd 11 and added it onto the end instead!