You wouldn’t even believe how excited I am to finally announce that a bright and beautiful new CAL for 2021 is on the way!!
Filet Fantastic is a no sew, uniquely constructed, large blanket that will be released in 12 parts. Showcasing filet crochet, in a new and modern way, the crochet along result is a blanket that is great for adventurous beginners, for first timers of filet, or for anyone that loves joining in with a fun crochet community event.
Believe it or not I actually started working on the design for this pattern back in 2018 whilst we were working our way through the Stitch Story Crochet Along. For three years this pattern has been bubbling away in the background – the victim of life getting in the way of it mostly, so you can imagine what it must be like to say ‘let’s hook this!’ Are you excited? I know I am!!
Right then, are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin with some of the specifics for this years design. Filet Fantastic will be released in 12 parts which will be available for free here on the Keep Calm and Crochet On UK Blog. The landing page for the CAL is available from the CALS AND MALS drop down at the top of the page (here), where I will link all the details in one place.
Yarn Amounts and Kits
- I used Scheepjes Riverwashed for my blanket which is some of my favourite yarn. It’s a cotton / acrylic blended yarn that has a different core colour surrounded with a different colour fluff to give it a two toned “halo” effect – it’s gorgeous stuff! The yarn is a delight to use especially when the interesting nature of the yarn is combined with the fun of filet!
- My lovely mum has been back with her hooks to make a second version of the blanket. She’s created hers in Scheepjes Colour Crafter. Colour Crafter is 100% premium acrylic yarn which is incredibly soft (and hypoallergenic), it’s well suited to blankets as it washes really well and comes in a lovely range of colours.
❤️🧡💛 Kits for the CAL are now available from Black Sheep Wools 💚💙💜
Prices are £105 for Riverwashed packs (36 x 50g balls) and £42 for Colour Crafter packs (21 x 100g balls) all with a Black Sheep Wools project bag to help keep you organised.
Kits are, at the moment, only available for delivery in the UK, if you are based outside of the UK, and would like to take part using the same yarn that I have used, you can find a list of Scheepjes stockists here. EDITED: I’ve just actually had an update from Black Sheep Wools that the company are hopefully re-opening US postage next week, so hopefully by my next CAL update kits will be available for shipping to the US,
If you are thinking of hooking up this design using yarn from your own stash I would suggest that you would need at least 12 different colours and at least 2100g / 6300m though I’ll be going into more detail about colours and yarn amounts in my next post (Friday 26 February).
I used a 3.5mm (US size E/4). If you were on the look out for a simple aluminium crochet hook (the kind I learnt to crochet with) then I have some in my Yarnybobs store or I also have other hooks and useful crochet tools linked in my Amazon Store.
I’m delighted to say I have set up some some special collaborations for this CAL for you. CAL lovers can now buy directly from small businesses that have created something special, specifically for the crochet along, which they will be sure to love!
- Exclusive Filet Fantastic blanket ‘progress keepers’ have been designed for the CAL by the wonderful MrsGMakes. The gorgeous stitch markers are available in two colourways (pink or purple) and are adorned with a beautiful Austrian Crystal and Tibetan silver star charms!
- You can get 25% discount off Dear Ewe stationery (WIP project cards and CAL yarn sample cards) and Dear Ewe project bags on the website with coupon code: FILET to assist with all your CAL endeavours!
- Beautiful bespoke CAL cards have also been created by Simply Shade Cards with the list of the all the yarns used, for Riverwashed and Colour Crafter, as a perfect way to keep track of colours for the project.
- There is no charge to join the CAL; anyone can join in as long as they have some yarn and a hook.
- You can favourite / add this project to your Ravelry library here.
- All featured pattern elements in the CAL will be FREE of charge pattern on this blog
- I will also be offering a downloadable PDF e-book for sale containing the full pattern in one printable file (without advertisements) on Ravelry for a small charge. During the duration of the CAL this pattern will be released part by part, via Ravelry updates, so as not to spoilt anyone’s fun.
- For those that like a deadline I will be adding new details about each square every weeks on a Friday – see below for full schedule. For those that want to hook when they have the time then that’s fine too; there’s no pressure to this CAL it’s all about having fun!
- I will be using both UK and US crochet terminology in the pattern (UK/US) so you can pick your preference. I will also always include any helpful information about each element including links about special stitches with the release of each new section.
|Wednesday 17 February 2021||CAL Details – including start date, schedule, yarn amounts and hook size|
|Friday 26 February 2021||CAL Planning – more about the design, colours, yarn and support available|
|Friday 5 March 2021||Part 1 – The Star|
|Friday 12 March 2021||Part 2 – Little Boxes|
|Friday 19 March 2021||Part 3 – Arrows 1|
|Friday 26 March 2021||Part 4 – Arrows 2|
|Friday 2 April 2021||Part 5 – Kisses|
|Friday 9 April 2021||Part 6 – Hugs|
|Friday 16 April 2021||Part 7 – Diagonal Stripes|
|Friday 23 April 2021||Part 8 – Dashes|
|Friday 30 April 2021||Part 9 – Bobble Flowers|
|Friday 7 May 2021||Part 10 – Bobble Grid|
|Friday 14 May 2021||Part 11 – Fancy Filet|
|Friday 21 May 2021||Border|
|Friday 28 May 2021||Tah Dah!|
Updates and Support:
Keep up to date with the details via the following links:
The hashtag for this years CAL is #KCACOUKCAL21 for Twitter and Instagram. Though you you can join in with any progress photos by linking your projects on your favourite social media sites: Ravelry, Facebook page or Facebook group and Pinterest.
Ooo I’m excited and so looking forward to seeing everyone’s blankets develop over time!
Until next time; keep calm and crochet on my friends xx
Please note that some of the links in my blog are affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you purchase via these links, but the price you pay is not affected. You can read more about my affiliate links here.