Block 15 time!! I was looking at my list today and I can’t believe that we only have 9 blocks left to make! For those of you that are managing to keep up – yay you! I hope you are beginning to see your Afghan coming to life now…for those not started yet or are catching up – you still have bags of time, remember we don’t finish until the end of November! The full schedule and details about the CAL can be found here.
Our next square is a nice and simple fun design that has some texture and a shape within a shape. There are also lots of ways you could play with colour with this one; I’ve used all five of my colours in each of my blocks but this one would look great in a single colour or many.
Click on the link in the title below to go straight to the pattern or add it to your Ravelry queue here. This square is currently free on Ravelry and on has been on heartmadeblessings.org since Jan 2002.
Popin by Melissa Green
- Hook: 5 mm (US Size H)
- Yarn: Aran / 10 ply / Worsted / Weight #4
- Colours: I would suggest at least two different colours
- Pattern uses American crochet terms see conversion chart here
- Beginning Popcorn (Beg PC) – Ch 3, 4 tr/dc in same sp, pull hook out of loop, put in 3rd ch of beginning ch 3, pick up dropped loop and pull through.
- Popcorn (PC) – Tr/dc in same sp, pull hook out of loop, put in 3rd ch of beginning ch 3, pick up dropped loop and pull through.
Ta dah!! This is my version of this square using my colour palette (I blogged about this here). I’m a big fan of playing with shapes within shapes so I love how the popcorns create a diamond inside of the block. I had fun with my colours with stripes in the centre and at the edge and a big chunk of green in the middle. I think this makes the popcorn diamond more subtle but I like that it makes the centre/edge popcorns more defined – can’t wait to see how you mix up the colours on your blocks!
Don’t forget to stay tuned for the next block to be released on 5th or 6th of August