Edited to add: This page has now been translated to by the lovely Sarit Grinberg: groovyghan-introduction-HEBREW
Following a poll I conducted on Facebook, about doing a Crochet-A-Long (CAL) for 2016, and if I did what we should do the CAL on, the resounding answer was for a ‘Groovyghan’. This is rather cool because I’ve always wanted to have a go at making one…and now I get to design one!
The ‘Everything is Cool and Groovyghan CAL’ will start on 13 January 2016. The tutorials for each part will be released every two weeks on a Wednesday on my blog where they will remain available forever.
This is a mystery crochet-along for a rectangular mixed motif blanket where either blocks or rows will be introduced every two weeks. Lots of different shapes and stitches will be incorporated so it won’t get boring and there will be plenty of opportunity to play with colour!
As well as posting information on this blog I’ll also be linking the information in my KCACO-UK Community Facebook Group, which if it’s anything like last year, is a great source for support and helpful tips from fellow Crochet-Alongers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1512395979046485/
So on to the fine details of the CAL…this is a bit of a long post so bear with me!
DETAILS OF THE CAL:
- There is no charge to join the CAL; anyone can join in as long as they have some yarn and a hook.
- All featured pattern elements in the CAL will be FREE of charge patterns if released separately from the CAL.
- For those that like a deadline I will be adding new details about each square every two weeks on a Wednesday at 7 pm-ish (GMT time) – see below for full schedule. For those that want to hook when they have the time then that’s fine too; no pressure to this CAL it’s all about having fun!
- For this blanket I will be using double knit/8 ply/yarn weight #3 and a 4mm (US size G); though you could use worsted /aran/ yarn weight #4 with a larger hook (US size H) for a larger blanket if you wish to.
- I will be using both UK and US crochet terminology in the pattern (UK/US) so you can pick your preference. I will also always link a conversion chart and any helpful information about each element including links about special stitches with the release of each new section.
I’ve designed this CAL to be a stash-buster to use up bits of yarn you might have lying around (in my case lots) or you can buy new. I estimate that you will need at least:
- 12 skeins of Double Knit (1200g / 3600m / 3936 yards) OR
- 14 skeins of Aran / Worsted (1400g / 2744m / 2996 yards)
Please note that these amounts are approximated – actual finished blankets may vary depending on yarn and hook used and own personal tension when crocheting. I would always round up a bit as some stitches take more yarn that others.
As for colours; well this giant bag of multi-toned blues from my stash is going to be the colours I use this time.
I would suggest, if you do buy new, that at a minimum of at least 3 colours would look best. I’m of the opinion this time that the more colours the merrier this time round – it is a groovyghan after all! If you are looking for inspiration for colours to use why not have a look at the Design Seeds website – though be prepared to loose a good chunk of your time ogling all the lovely colour schemes!
- January 13th – Part 1
- January 27th – Part 2
- February 10th – Part 3
- February 24th – Part 4
- March 9th – Part 5
- March 23rd – Part 6
- April 6th – Part 7
- April 20th – Part 8
- May 4th – Part 9
- May 18th – Part 10
- June 1st – Part 11
- June 15th – Part 12
- June 29th – Part 13
- July 13th – Part 14
- July 27th – Part 15
- August 10th – Part 16
- August 24th – Part 17 / Border
- September 7th – BIG REVEAL
As the groovyghan is made up from several different components I’ve drawn up this schematic for you to help with visualisation / joining together of each part.
I am so looking forward to see everyone’s groovy blankets develop over time! Stay tuned for part 1 released on January 13th.